What is Alpha Hydroxy Acid?
AHA and BHA are mild exfoliants which remove dead surface cells and helps skins natural shedding. They are found in citrus fruits, sugar cane. remove dead surface cells.
Since AHA is water soluble it is best for sun burns. AHA melts the intercellullar glue which holds the skin cells together.
Alpha Hydroxy Acids List / AHA Benefits
AHA contains the following acids
- Glycolic acid which can be derived from sugarcane. It exfoliates and boosts collagen. Penetrates skin easily hence can cause irritation.
- Lactic acid occurs naturally in milk and has moisturizing and whitening properties
- Mandelic acid can be found in bitter almonds
- Tartaric acid can be found in grapes
- Malic acid which is found in apples and pears
- Citric acid obtained in citrus fruits
AHA side effects
AHA can make the skin photo sensitive.
Is Lactic Acid an Alpha Hydroxy Acid?
Yes Lactic acid which occurs in milk is a AHA.
If you use AHA or BHA you must use a sunscreen
How to use Alpha Hydroxy Acid?
First cleanse your face. Apply your favorite toner. I use Biotique Bio Honey Water Clarifying Toner . Let it dry completely. Then apply AHA. Once AHA has been absorbed you can use moisturizer, face serum ( I use Seer Secrets Aloe Vera & Guduchi Hydrating & Retexturing Facial Serum.