Many educated women are looking to start home based businesses in India. These provide them with flexibility to work their own hours and the freedom to be their own boss.
Small businesses are being encouraged by the Indian government with many loans and government schemes available for small businesses especially for Women.
Which is the Best Business to Start?
The best business is one which you are passionate about. If you are not motivated because you like something, chances are you will quit as soon as you hit a hurdle.
Trust me there will many days when you will feel like giving it all up. It happens to all of us.
I have realised the reason I keep going is that I love what I do. My business is my blog.
For some more than passion it is money which pushes them into a venture. that is totally fine if that it what you want. After all we all are in it for money.
What is the Best Business for H
Find a business which will allow you to work at your own pace. When I had just quit my job with a really good pay to stay at home with my kids, I never knew how depressing it would be.
My self esteem tanked because though I knew I was doing the right thing by prioritizing my family, I felt I wasn’t being productive.
It took me years to finally accept myself. This is also the time a friend visited our house and asked what do you do?
I said I am a housewife. He said, what work do you do, housework isnt much. I had to muster every ounce of control to stopmyself from punching the person.
A housewife has one of the most important jobs on earth and I am in eternal awe of those ladies who work at keeping their house clean and babies fed, day in and day out.
That is a LOT of work…
Coming back to the question…
The best business for a housewife is something which is practical. Between household chores, homework, cooking, there is very minimal time.
- Find something you are truly passionate about
- Find an idea which you already know and are good at. Example cooking, baking, tuitions, decorations
- Find something which is a low investment or you have the money for. If budget is not a limit what is the idea which really fascinates you? Try that business.
- If you have small babies, you need something which requires minimal time and isn’t time sensitive. If you were to sell home-cooked meals, you have to send the meals on time. This is not something you should take on, even if you are good at it. Unless of course, you had someone to help. But selling crafts online should be okay because it is not time sensitive.
- Travel is another thing to keep in mind. If the small business requires travel either because you serve customers at their house or you travel to purchase raw materials. Is that feasible for you? There could be travel to the post office etc for sending the products.
While I mentioned to pick a business which you are passionate about, I also encourage you to pick a business which has a demand in the market.
If no one wants that product or service, you do not want to start in that.
How can a Small Business make Money?
There are multiple ways you can earn money from a small business. You can get money in exchange for the products you sell. You might be able to charge extra money for some services.
Usually we start small businesses after having tested the waters with trying that idea as a Freelancer.
So if you love crafts and are always obsessed by making crafts, you might at first start small. Gift business and corporate gift business are very lucrative and many women are doing it at home.
Some make and sell products directly to customers, neighbours and friends. Some use Instagram to sell online, others start a craft class at home.
Here you know exactly how much you might earn per month.
Once you make it into a small business there are many overheads involved. You have all or some of these costs to take into consideration
- Equipment Costs
- Office equipment and furniture
- Tools and Machinery
- Raw Material
- Labels and Packing Materials
- Skilled and Unskilled Labour
- Administration Costs
- Interest to pay on loans you might have taken
- Variable Costs
After adding up all these expenses, subtract it from the revenue your generated and you calculate a Break Even Point.
Once your sales cross this Break Even Point you can start expecting profits. You cannot spend all the money you make. You must and have to reinvest back into the business. You must set aside a working capital usually of 3 to 6 months.
You might not be even be able to pay yourself initially, even though you are making sales and seeing profits.
By the time you start seeing profits it might be anywhere between 6 months to a year or more.
Many Small Business owners have a side part time job to pay for their expenses. They might have support from their spouse, parents, family.
Even when the business takes off most business owners will only draw 50% of their profits as a salary. Some small business owners pay themselves a small salary every month.
Home Based Business Ideas for Ladies with Low Investment
I have tried to make a list of businesses which can be run from home with almost zero to no investment. I can say no investment but actually, every business has the investment of your time, the time invested by your family, advertising expenses, packaging costs.
If you are a service provider and can provide service at a clients house, you can register yourself online at services such as UrbanClap which bring service providers and clients together.
- Acupuncture – If you have learnt Acupuncture this is a business which you can start from home. You can even provide the service at your clients home.
- Virtual Assistant – I have worked as a Virtual Assistant for a while. Many big businesses and entrepreneurs are always looking for people who can assist them in
therwork. You can look for such work at upwork.com
- Call Centre – You can set up a call centre at home. All it requires is a phone, computer, maybe headphones, software for tracking your calls. You could very well use Spreadsheets to keep track of your work.
- Search Engine Marketing – I used to provide search engine marketing services from home. Most of my clients were from Upwork, through referrals and through online advertisements which I placed for free o websites. You can go solo or hire another freelancer under you. I had hired a small SEO firm once and was able to get my work done through them.
- Social Media Consulting Service – A social media consultant helps business owners with their social media tasks. These could be as trivial as writing snippets for them on a weekly basis which the client then reviews and schedules on social media networks. Clients might also want you to handle their social media accounts, optimise and grow them for you. I have worked as a freelancer and you can again get this work on Upwork, through local businesses and through online advertisements.
- Coaching Centre – Education is evergreen and this is one business which actually gets better over time. If you remember I had interviewed Renuka Mahesh about how she creates and sells Montessori Books Online via Instagram. Well, she also has classes for kids, she teaches, they have guided tours and programs. You need to be patient, consistent and this business will grow over time if you are able to produce good results.
- Content Creator – Content is required for Business proposals, Presentations, legal documents, Brochures, Flyers, Website. If you can write well you can offer content writing services. We started this at home and were always having work to do. Again we used free marketing for this service and you can totally find work on Upwork which pays more.
- Freelance Writing – This is content writing but here you are not committed to a big project. You just provide content for a website or one article and you are done. As a Content Creator, you are sometimes expected to design the document and put in some images and a logo. As a Freelance writer, you just write content. This could be for social media posts, articles, blog posts, newsletter posts and you usually get paid per word. I used to charge per article with a minimum word count. You can offer your services on sites such as Upwork and iWriter.
- Translation Service -Translation services and translators are in high demand. Whether it is for translating documents or audio files or acting as a translator for someone who is visiting from another country, this service has tons of potentials. Travel agents always have translators on board whom they can hire per project basis.
- Data Entry – Data Entry jobs are in high demand but sometimes it is difficult to get good work. Try Upwork they have many such projects.
- Interior Designing – If you are creative and have a good aesthetic sense, you are in high demand. People love to live in well organised pleasant homes and usually hire interior designers to help them realise their dreams. My aunt used to take up freelance projects as an Interior Designer and she used to be paid per project.
- Kids fun teaching
- Bookkeeping – My friend used to work as a personal bookkeeper
for smallbusiness owners. She approached small shops near her house and offered to help them with their accounting. Since small shops cannot afford an accountant they were eager to have her come by once a week and help them with their accounts. She would visit all the shops and pick up the receipts and invoices for the week. All the accounting work was done by her at home.
- Medical Transcriptionist
- Medical Tourism Consultant
- Wedding Planners
- Designing Restaurant Menus and Displays
Small Business Ideas for Uneducated in India
- Food Business
- Flower Business
- Wedding Decorations
- Candle Making
- Gift Baskets
- Birds Sales
- Dogs and Cats Sales
- Pet Supplies
- Service Apartments
- Party Favours
- Beauty Parlour
- Cleaning Services
- Dance Classes
- Mehendi Classes
- Craft Classes
- Basket Making
- Gift Baskets
- Candle Making
- Food Walks
- Meal Delivery
- Business Coach India : Interview with Shreya Pawar
- Increase Offline Sales ( Promote, Advertise, Grow) Your Business
- Start Beauty Parlour (from home, List of Items, Cost, Business Plan, Income, Profits, Requirements )
- Mom Instagram Slime Shop Business India
- FREE Strategies to Promote your Soap Business on Pinterest